Saturday, February 18, 2006

Day by day, the monkey's mask, reveals the monkey

As I said Joe Bastad 90.

As some of you may be aware I work for a huge multi-national corporate. In a moderately senior post which considering my flippant attitude to work, lack of work ethic and love of table football is amazing.

So anyhoo, I've been working forn this fairly ineffectual posh bird (we'll call her 'Freckles') brought in by the top man (henceforth 'The Piano man').

So, me an Freckles (who allegedly is having intimate relations with the Piano man) are working on a big project. I keep hassling her for my (and my teams ('Hamster', 'Hammertime' and 'Lozenge')) objectives for 2006. This is going nowhere (despite might I add her supposed genius and huge pay packet) and considering how she can't write a yearly appraisal I feared the worst.

Next thing I get Joe 90 (who reports into 'Mr Muscle' who reports into the Piano Man) [A tortuous reporting line - NB I used to report directly into 'Mumbling Uncle' who was Mr Muscle's predecessor.] saying I am 'Causing a big fuss aboot objectives'. Well I must say I fear I was unfair as it's already mid February. Maybe I should've waited till June when I was doing my teams appraisals. Mind you the Hamster would have ragged my ass off to see hers every week.

Also, Joe 90 has asked me to sign my appraisal following his comments. The comments (one usually expects vaguely encouraging stuff) all relate to the fact that I appear laid back and need to do this that and the other. Turning what reads as a good review into one with a footnote saying 'Don't employ this feckless c***'.

Me and 90 go into a room and I criticise his management style, stating that he had never given me any feedback and that I refuse to sign it. To which he tells me that he is one of the best managers on the floor (not hard, but not true) and that he has two managers working for him that are disgruntled to be junior to me. To which I state 'Wookie' and 'Ramrod Spine' (the gentlemen in question) are incapable of leading lives never mind people.

Woo, don't I rant on!

Anyway this culminates in our arrogant bespectacled self proclaimed genius telling me that he is now taken over my leadership. (Just after I have told him I will never arse lick (unlike Wookie and Ramrod Spine - interestingly two of the most lowly regarded goons in the office)).

Well the moral of the story is that I'm fooked.

On a lighter note 'The Shield' and 'Rigsby' finally ended the 5 set winning run of 'The Dome' and 'Lips'. With a score of 21-17 the subsidised Sun Lik sesh is slightly nearer.

Speaking of which was out briefly in the Sun Lik den last night with Dome and Rigsby. Rigsby was very excited to find some left loggage teetering (did I say teetering? It was more like piled high!) in the gents trap. Dome took great pleasure in photographing said fecal work and now has it as his telephone screensaver! GROO.

3 Comments:

Blogger J.J said...

"incapable of leading lives never mind people".

Excellent phrase....but I'm sorry to hear you are fooked!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

what the fook, as you put it are you working with! For one, your appraisal sucks, clearly if you are fooked and gonna need to apply for new job you need a fucking good appraisal! Dont get me started on fucking managers levels, coz I'm so pissed off with mine, when I told her about this apprentice she was not encouraging at all, in fact the words were "Its shit money bird" yeah thanks then! What about the career opportunites and the fact it will look fucking good on my CV. These people get paid god knows how much money and they dont have a clue! ...Right im off my soap box, well for now!! xx

10:21 PM  
Blogger Spunky Trunks said...

Cheers Jane, I'm sure I'll survive.

As for you Moo, I have to say there are very few decent line managers (I reckon I'm too nice and definitely too disorganised AND care too much about my team, criminal error these days).

You have to do what's right for you. I've been given consistently bad advice by line management (and above) throughout my career. I ignored it all and am doing better than I should have.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home