Sunday, April 16, 2006

My grey is turning to black...

Not liking to be outdone by my gorgeous antipodean friend, here is the biggest spider I have seen in England:












Known to the romans as tegenaria gigantea these spiders can get quite big. AND they can bite! I don't think they often do mind, despite having big old fangs.

My most scary encounter was at home when the rest of my family were holidaying in France. I was lying in bed and heard a kind of scrapy walking sound above me. My walls were covered by posters of the Police and The Bangles at the time (PS Susannah Hoffs is still very much a fox). So I got up and switched the light on and looked where the noise was coming from. Now being without my contacts I needed to get near the wall to see clearly. So right in front of my eyes was:













I almost messed me pants!
The only scarier face-to-creepy-crawly time was in southern france when in bed I noticed a blurry dark spot on the ceiling. I stuck my head close to it (contact lenseless again and was faced with:














This freak of nature is a house centipede (known from then on as a 'ghast creature'. It scared the life out of me!
I never saw another one until a holiday many years later in Cephallonia with a pixie faced swede.
That was a holiday and a half! At the time I was also seeing a lady who I shall refer to as 'Chebs'. I had fibbed and said I was holidaying alone.
Every day or so I was having to scooter down to the phone to chat to Chebs which was all very well until she decided (thanks to my interfering friend Monkey lips, who thought it would be amusing to encourage her to come to the airport) to meet me at Gatwick. After some panic I calmly gave her the flight number (plus one added on to the end) and an arrival time a few hours later.
Chebs was smart though and phoned up enquiries to see if it was on time, only to find out it was a Wednesday flight. Fortunately she didn't turn up anyway (I was sweating! these were stressful times), but I had lots of explaining to do. How I got away with that one I shall never know.

I'll tell you what I was drinking all day yesterday and ended with a doner kebab. There's nothing quite like a doner to emphasize a hangover!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

YUK!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Nat said...

Awww, they're so cute!

Can I hold one?

2:15 PM  
Blogger Spunky Trunks said...

I have to say Nat the many legged freak is downright wrong!

AND it bites.

6:12 PM  
Blogger H x said...

Are you sure? It looks all cute and fluffy. I bet it only bites if it thinks you are going to hurt one of those many legs. It's a big effort looking after all those you know. Think of the moisturising required!

8:38 AM  
Blogger J.J said...

I'm with Moo!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home