Thursday, April 06, 2006

But since then the aeons have taken their toll,

Blooargh! Windy day today. From my lofty perch in the corporate monolith that mean you can feel movement. On a bad day, like today, it makes me feel car sick.

Comedy of the day was Hether's attempt to get an E-mail sent round the whole department (around 300 in our section I'd guess, 600 in the bigger team) saying to see him if they wanted to enter the Grand National sweepstake........

Now.....the lady in charge of this, we shall name her 'The Middle Aged Manager's Wet Dream' (Wetters for short), is a bit of corporate Hitler. Her reply?

'errrrrrr, business reason?' she went on to say that she's always up for having fun but promoting gambling is bad. I mean who made Wetters our moral guardian. She's more than happy to promote the joys of an outrageously unfair and subjective pay structure. But a sweepstake with a £20 prize? NEVER!

On a literary note. I'm reading 'One hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I've never seen such long paragraphs! AND small writing. I think my dad left it behind in an effort to 'Improve me'. He used to give me reading lists in the summer holidays in an attmept to do that too. Sadly, I refused because I'm an obstinate litle git. Spookily I've read them all since and loved them. My Dad, it must be said, is 'The Man'.

Finally, a note from my main man BabyFace. He is the master of comedy E-mails:

On Gambling on The Grand National

I'll just do what my Nan used to do - pretend ("That way I'll get as much enjoyment if it wins and it will cost me nothing if it loses"). Inspiring generation - they could live off thin air when things got tight with no need for the never-never. They gave Hitler a good poke in the eye as well. Sterling stuff - they didn't even have any stockings or bananas as far as I can gather. Imagine that - a banana split would justbe a bowl of ice cream and whipped cream and a glass cherry. Except they didn't even have ice-cream or whipped cream or bowls, so it was just a glass cherry - as luck would have it that was my Nan's favourite bit(she liked them on a cocktail stick in her babycham as well as in lieu of a full banana split) so she was pleased all the same. Inspiring generation.

5 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

we have done sweepstake at work my horse is Heroes, Collonges, 100 - 1 to win!!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Mr McGuinness said...

We had a sweepstake at work and I pulled out a horse called AnalHitlerSpunk.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Spunky Trunks said...

Interesting.....I can't see that in the runners and riders.

I think you've been done!

OH no! Wait a minute...it's there in the Dubai Classic next Saturday.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Nat said...

I once won sixteen bucks (aprox six quid) on a horsed called Chaka Khan!

2:49 PM  
Blogger stig said...

I once won a frisbee. It broke the next day.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home