Friday, October 06, 2006

Cut my wrist on a bad thought, and head for the door.....

Right! I promised myself I would get around to writing aboot my holiday to the US eventually and here it is.

[Fuck this is hard work. What is the problem with blogger and downloading photos today???]

As I am nursing a hangover and home alone waiting for the baked potatoes it seems like a good time.

The first exciting thing I saw was my first ever iceberg. I thought it was a ship at first but even from 30,000 feet it looked huge and white. To small to photograph from that height though. (and I hadn’t gone photo crazy by then (I ended up taking aboot 700 photes).

Next was Greenland. Totally completely awesome. We were lucky in that the weather was totally clear but the glacier paths are amazing. You can see each glacier as it joins and merges with other ice flows with dark lines of debris separating them. I’d loved to go there rather than fly over. It just looks like a place where no one has ever been.












Greenland coastline. All black mountains, snow and ice flows.














Glacial flows joining together to form a greater whole

We then flew over the dazzling white landscape. Which was a bit dull until there was a patch of bright blue lakes in the middle of nowhere. Why aren’t they frozen?













Bright blue lakes in the middle of Greenland, otherwise nothing but a white dazzling landscape.

I got to enjoy the in-flight entertainment of ‘The Hedge’ and ‘Ice Age II’ then. I wouldn’t bother looking them up.

I have to say the Americans don’t deserve such an amazing country (no offence) it is totally incredible and the sheer variation of scenery flying over it is awesome.

Finally we got to Las Vegas (which looks ridiculous in the middle of a desert with all it’s sprawl and golf courses) and a taxi to the Bellagio hotel where we were staying. Very impressive from the outside, piece of poo from the inside. I mean it’s clean and plush and all that. BUT despite having the longest check in desk I’ve ever seen, you still had a three deep queue at every desk. This place is meant to be posh.














The Bellagio yesterday

Also in Vegas everywhere you go has slots. Everyfuckingwhere. At breakfast in the café, in every single hotel taking up the majority of the ground floor in most cases, even at every spot at the bar in the pub we went too.

We spent a few days looking around. It was really hot, but dry hot, a bit like standing in front of the fan oven. Not sweaty and thick like Singapore but hot and crisp. Walking up and down the strip is bobbins though. Oh look a hotel! This one has lions! This one has tigers! Oh another copy of something from Europe with genuine cultural merit.













A lion in a hotel, trying to pretend the gawpers aren't there













A hotel made to look like New York, errrr well done. It's name? New York New York.













A hotel looking like a pyramid with a sphinx (this is my favourite one actually)

You may spot I wasn’t a fan.

Although good things did happen:

Big Al got married and I was best man. It was a very happy day as I honestly would’ve put cash on him being a single man for the rest of his life a few years ago. He’s a good man, but he is the king of the dull anecdote and not talented with ladies. It just shows what determination can achieve though. He always said he’d meet someone nice and he was right!













Inside a hotel, note the fake buildings and sky. Bizarre.

The stag do was great fun. We went to a Mexican where I sampled the joys of coca cola steak (I have to try things that are unusual!) it was ok if a little sweet. Following that Big Al kindly bought me a bouncy ball and we went to an English pub in the middle of nowhere to play darts. We met some young ladies there, two of which chatted me up, which was quite flattering as they were only 21. Mind you one of the was a bit of a hooner and the one I did fancy had a grim piercing on her chest! Fortunately for them Old Trunks was an attached man at that stage and kept it in his trousers.













View from the hotel window upon getting back from the stag do. Spot the Eiffel tower.

Well I think that’s aboot it. I wouldn’t go back there, it’s somewhere you have to go but not my kind of place.

It left me feeling a bit empty really. The main road had 8 lanes I just noticed! And it was always busy.

Next stop Grand Canyon!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

I still want to go!

Lions IN the hotels?

Amazing....

10:03 AM  
Blogger Spunky Trunks said...

It's wrong!!!!

It's worth a trip though, so long as you see the next installment.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home