Saturday, October 28, 2006

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism it's just the opposite.

Thanks to JK Galbraith (deceased) for the title.
From Grand Canyon to Monument Valley

Approaching Monument Valley. El Capitan is ahead, the only volcanic point in the area.

I thought Bryce Canyon airport was small, but this one beat it. All it was was a tarmac square with a wooden fence. The runway was just a dusty track!

First stop was at Gouldings resort. He was the bloke who brought the westerns to Monument Valley and this place was an indian trading post. We were treated to Navajo Tacoes, which looked like a circular naan bread full of chilli, tomato and onions. Very filling and served by plump squaws.

Looking from the airport I got my first view of the mesas and buttes. I was so excited I was clapping my hands like an infant.

From Gouldings we were picked up by our bus. An ancient thing with no windows. It's so warm and dry theres no need for windows. Ever! We drove across the desert to the visitors centre and set off on the route round the park on dusty tracks often so steep the bus had no right to make it up them. The above picture was my first clear view, with the left and right mittens clearly visible.

A cowboy sitting on his horse on a promontary. In fact he was actually an indian. Either way he looks cool as fuck. Such an awesome place it was all orange. I could live there it is so breathtaking.





I can honestly say this is the best place I've ever been. I loved it. But sadly we had to go back to the plane to fly back to the Grand Canyon.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

Your pics look like proper movie posters.

Why did you return to blah Blighty?

7:32 AM  
Blogger Spunky Trunks said...

I didn't want to!

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home